Information Governance should be viewed as information opportunity, according to an AIIM white paper.
Information governance is a complicated subject for enterprise, starting with the term’s definition. An AIIM white paper we helped sponsor, “It’s not Information Governance, It’s Information Opportunity,” notes that the term has many meanings and depends on who is hearing the term.
Generally, information governance refers to the way to manage records, avoid risk and meet compliance issues.
“We all need to think of Information Governance in capitals, a neon signpost blinking at us across a wasteland of broken and misused information,” the white paper says.
Robert Smallwood, founding partner of IMERGE Consulting and executive director of the E-Records Institute, writes in an article that information governance is “policy-based control of information to meet all legal, regulatory, risk and business demands.”
At its core, information governance keeps needed information and discards the clutter.
“Information Governance is foundational to an organization’s success in the digital age,” the white paper says. So why are so many organizations unsuccessful in this area?
Only 10 percent of organizations surveyed say they have an information governance policy in place that is respected and enforced, and of those, only about 20 percent audit for compliance, according to AIIM research. Executives associate complexity, cost, confusion, and risk with information governance, among other unflattering associations.
The white paper offers advice from executives and experts on how to increase the adoption of information governance policies.
For example, it’s important that employees are able to see the value of information governance in their day-to-day work.
“It is said that the challenge is 80% people, 15% process, and 5% technology. We often focus too much on the technology at the expense of the other 95%,” Daniel Barchi, CIO of the Yale Health System and Yale School of Medicine, says in the white paper.
To learn more about cutting through the noise surrounding information governance, download the AIIM white paper.